Thursday, April 23, 2009

A small lesson


One day, I made a small "vision board". A "vision board" is a slab of cardboard or paper containing all of one's hopes and dreams, needing only for one to focus on it to make it's contents appear(per "The Secret"). I made it small so that I could look at it discreetly at work. I headed off to my place of employment, ready to make headway on my "visions".
I went about my day with glee, often pulling out my little "vision" board. Sometimes, I would sneak peeks at it while I was going about the routine of my daily duties. I almost lost track of time staring at that little piece of "visions" I had so ingeniously constructed. I left work really feeling like I had somehow made headway on all that I wanted.
The next day, I returned to work to be immediately confronted with a costly mistake I'd made that cost the representative involved and the company a considerable chunk of money. My work area was out of sorts and unorganized. To top that off, when I reached into my pocket to seek some solace in my "visions", I found that it was not in my back pocket, as it had been last time I checked (which was right before I got off the train to come to work). It seemed that my hopes and dreams had been my downfall for that day, and it had rippled into the next also.
I thought about that situation later and saw the literal lesson I had received: Don't let "visions" replace the present moment. It is only through the present moment that things take place. There was a time and a place for me to focus on my "vision board", and I did not pick my spots wisely. The fault rested with me, not my dreams.
I figure there's a time to visualize, and a time to work. Do one or the other at the wrong time and things don't work out (especially at work).

No comments: