Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Time in inches

As a child, I thought of time as a substance. I thought time had a definite beginning and ending. I really took the "sands of the hour glass" imagery to heart. Time is merely a measurement. It's existence hinges upon our own. It is not so much a function of nature as it is an increment that makes life make sense. We cherish it because, as far as we know, time only expires when we do. The fact that we are in constant debate about the beginning of time should give us an idea as to the true nature of this concept. Time becomes this slippery concept based on an agreement between us all.

Recently, Samoa has decided to skip a whole day in order to get in line with the time zone of their neighbors. This makes me think of when I found out that daylight savings time wasn't a natural law. I couldn 't understand why we needed to manipulate time in such a away. If we can change something as important to time as a day of the week, contemplate the implications of that! It almost gives one the idea that they could slow down or stop the aging process, based on those ideas. Aside from the energy benefits (which I, as a consumer of energy, am ashamed to admit, do not understand), on some level we always need to remind ourselves and teach the young that time is theirs to use, not the other way around.

No comments: